To provide a college-preparatory education built upon New York City’s maritime experience that instills in students the ethics of environmental stewardship and the skills associated with careers on the water.
- The marine world provides an ideal forum for an education based on excellence, discipline, and interdependence.
- Hands-on, inquiry-based learning in a natural environment stimulates curiosity, critical thinking, and vision – all of which help to improve student outcomes.
- All students have the desire and intellect to reach their highest academic standards when given the right opportunities and clear expectations.
- Small schools allow students a larger stake in decision making, as well as increased personal attention, alternative assessments, and easier access to the staff.
- All students should have access to New York waterways.
- College should be a real option for all students.
- Partnerships are key to providing relevant, on-water experiences.
- The environment should be left better than it’s found.
- A school is only as successful as its students.